Meal prep is one of the best things you can do for a healthier and more cost efficient way of eating. Whether you are on the go or looking for portion control, taking the time to prep your meals ahead of time can eliminate much of the effort needed for healthy eating. Life can be unpredictable, but what healthy meal you will eat doesn’t have to below are our favorite tips to make meal prep as painless as possible!
Make a list.
- Planning a week worth of healthy your meals can get overwhelming, but a detailed shopping list can do wonders! Think about what is currently in season, what your favorite healthy staples are, and how you can get the most out of the ingredients you buy.
Buy in bulk.
- There is nothing better than knocking our a lot of meals in one trip. Planning and prepping meals in advance is one of the best ways to save money, so buy in bulk and plan to freeze the foods that you will not eat in a week. This will cut down on prep and put you ahead for the next week.
Buy ingredients that overlap with a few different recipes.
- Like mentioned above, buying in bulk is ideal, but plan accordingly so that the food you have on hand works with a couple different recipes.
- If eating the same meals two days in a row sounds miserable, let healthy and flavorful sauces spice things up. Healthy sauces can be made in a short amount of time and can add lots of variety your healthy staples.
Look for shortcuts.
- Pre cut veggies and cooked grains are a great alternative for people who are short on time or those who really dislike meal prep but beware of higher prices for those pre-spiralized zoodles.
- The proper storage containers for your chopped and prepped ingredients is vital for extending the life time of your food. We love BPA free, reusable containers and glass mason jars.