This healthy lemon chicken is the perfect savory fall meal. Easy, delicious, and an instant weeknight favorite.
Just like the original, it’s mildly sweet with lovely hints of lemon flavor. Combining flavors like soy sauce and honey with other traditional Asian inspired ingredients like coconut oil, poppy seeds, and sesame seeds. These flavors mingle in your slow cooker until the dish is infused with a unique, complex taste. And you’d be hard pressed to find a healthier, more complete meal than this one. Chicken breasts are a lean protein that adds very little excess fat and calories to your recipe. Lemon contributes vitamin C and antioxidants, and coconut oil is an excellent substitute for less healthy fats and oils. Honey rounds it out with a natural sweetness that doesn’t pack on calories, and when served with whole grains, this meal will fill you up and keep you satisfied.
Plus, it’s cooked until the chicken is melt-in-your-mouth tender, and just begging to be spooned over a bowl of brown rice. If you’re craving Chinese takeout, try this instead! You’ll be far more satisfied and 100% guilt-free.
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 4 chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3 lemons, juiced and zested
- 1 tablespoon lite soy sauce, Braggs aminos, or coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup green onions, diced
- Melt coconut oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add chicken and brown quickly–you don’t need to cook each piece through, just add a little color to the outside.
- Place in a crockpot. Sprinkle with chopped garlic, salt, and drizzle 1 1/4 cups of vegetable broth over the chicken. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours, or until very tender.
- 30-40 minutes before serving, whisk together remaining vegetable broth, lemon juice and zest, soy sauce, cornstarch, and honey. Pour this mixture into the crockpot, stir to coat. Turn crockpot to high and cook for 30 minutes, or until the sauce thickens.
- Sprinkle with poppy seeds, sesame seeds, and green onions. Serve and enjoy!
Yields: 6 servings | Serving size: 1-1/2 cups | Calories: 289 | Total Fat: 11 g | Saturated Fats: 7 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 51 mg | Sodium: 177 mg | Carbohydrates: 29 g | Dietary fiber: 3 g | Sugars: 14 g | Protein: 20 g | SmartPoints: 10