It’s almost the Fourth of July and we are ready to sweat, sip and celebrate!
RED, WHITE, AND BLUE SANGRIA
What’s better than sipping on an ice-cold cocktail with friends and family? Maybe the fact that this recipe for Red, White, and Blue Sangria is probably one of the easiest you’ll ever make. Simply add mixed berries, seltzer, and grapefruit soda to white wine, and prepare to have a good time. Rather than adding sugar and syrupy liquors like some sangria recipes, this recipe is only sweetened with fresh berries and low-calorie grapefruit soda. Have a festive and guilt-free Fourth of July!
- 3 750 ml bottles of white wine
- 1 2L bottle of grapefruit soda, such as Fresca
- 1 2L bottle of seltzer
- 1 3-pound bag of frozen mixed berries
In a large container, combine wine, seltzer, and grapefruit soda. Then, pour in the entire bag of frozen berries. There’s no need for ice because the frozen berries will keep the sangria cold. Serve immediately or allow berries to pervade the sangria for a sweeter flavor.
This recipe makes approximately 16-20 servings. Perfect for a summer get-together!
Healthy Twist on Hot Dogs
Put down that ketchup bottle and mix it up this Fourth of July. Try out one (or all) of these three healthy hot dog toppings. These fruit and veggie packed options are not only more nutritious than traditional hot dog toppings but packed with flavor. From sriracha guacamole to mango salsa, you’ll have plenty of healthy toppings to impress friends and family. Feel free to pile on the toppings this summer!
TEX-MEX RANCHEROS HOT DOGS
- 8 hot dogs
- 4 oz Cabot New York Extra Sharp Cheddar, shredded (about 1 cup)
- ½ cup salsa
- 1 avocado, pitted, removed from the skin, and diced
- ½ cup black beans, rinsed, drained, and dried
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime
Preheat grill to medium-high heat and hot dogs according to your preferences and place them on the buns. Divide the rest of the ingredients between the 8 hot dogs along with a squeeze of lime on top and serve hot.
HAWAIIAN HOT DOGS WITH MANGO SALSA
For the Hot Dogs:
- 8 hot dog buns
- 2 ripe avocados sliced
For the Mango Salsa:
- 1 large ripe mango peeled and diced
- 1/2 small red onion diced
- 1 small red bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 serrano chile seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper
For the Pineapple Mustard:
- 2/3 cup chopped fresh pineapple
- 1/2 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 clove garlic small
Preheat the grill to high heat. Diced and combine all the ingredients for the Mango salsa, Toss and set aside.
In the food processor, puree the pineapple chunks, garlic, dijon mustard, and honey until smooth.
Open the buns and grill face-down for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
Grill the hot dogs for 5-8 minutes, rotating for even char marks.
Place the hot dogs on the buns and top with mango salsa, pineapple mustard and fresh sliced avocado
RED WHITE AND BLUE POPSICLES
These popsicles hit the perfect trifecta of healthy, festive, and delicious for all ages. They are dairy-free, dye-free, and naturally-sweetened, so there’s no need for food coloring to be added. Plus, with the help of fresh berries and coconut milk, they are easy to make by just following a few simple instructions:
· 1 cup strawberries, chopped
· 1 Medjool date, pitted (or 1 tablespoon maple syrup)
· 2 tablespoons water
· 1 cup culinary coconut milk (not the refrigerated kind)
· 2 tablespoons maple syrup
Blue Layer: · 1/4 teaspoon spirulina powder (optional)
· 1/4 cup frozen blueberries
1. Combine the fresh strawberries, date (or maple syrup), and water in high-speed blender, and blend until very smooth. Pour the mixture into the 6 ice pop molds, using about 1 1/2 tablespoons per mold. Place the mold in the freezer to set for at least 40 minutes.
2. While the red layer is freezing, combine the coconut milk and maple syrup in a clean blender canister and blend until smooth. Once the red layer is set, add a heaping tablespoon of the white mixture to each mold, making the white middle layer. Return the molds to the freezer.
3. To the remaining white mixture, add in the spirulina and frozen blueberries, and blend again until smooth. Remove the molds from the freezer and add the blue layer on top, as the last popsicle layer. Insert a popsicle stick into each mold, and freeze until firm, about 4 to 5 hours.
4. To remove the popsicles from their mold, run them under hot water for about 10 seconds. This should help the ice pops easily release from the plastic mold. Serve frozen, and keep any remaining popsicles stored in the freezer for up to a month.
Add your favorite clear liquor to the mix for adult Red, White & Blue Popsicles.
No 4th of July is complete without hamburgers, so enjoy this grilled burger with curry mustard to satisfy your cravings. With carrots, scallions, and Italian seasoned lean ground beef, this 257-calorie burger only takes 35 minutes to cook. Plus, adding our 2-ingredient curry mustard sauce will give you that unique taste you’re looking for. No more having to choose between good tasting food or low-calorie foods, by following a few instructions you can have both and enjoy your holiday.
- ½ cup finely shredded carrot
- ¼ cup thinly sliced scallions
- ¼ cup soft whole-wheat bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- ¼ teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
- Dash ground pepper
- ¾ pound lean ground beef
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns, split and toasted
- Shredded zucchini (optional)
- Sliced tomato (optional)
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
1. Stir together mustard and curry powder in a small bowl. Set aside.
2. Stir together carrot, scallions, bread crumbs, milk, Italian seasoning, garlic salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Add the ground beef; mix well. Shape the meat mixture into four ½-inch-thick patties.
3. Grill the burgers on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 14 to 18 minutes or until a thermometer inserted into the center of burgers registers 160°F; turning once halfway through grilling. (Or, place the burgers on unheated rack of a foil-lined broiler pan. Broil 3 to 4 inches from heat for 12 to 14 minutes or until done, turning once.) Place the burgers on buns and serve with the curry mustard. If desired, serve the burgers with shredded zucchini and tomato slices.