Crock Pot Beef and Broccoli
Healthy, super easy, and so much better tasting than takeout! Everything cooks right in the crock pot, even the sauce.
YIELD: 4 servings
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: 2 hours
TOTAL TIME: 2 hours, 15 minutes
- 1 1/2 pounds flank steak, cut across grain into thin slices
- 1 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chili-garlic paste, Sriracha, or 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, plus additional to taste
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (about 2 large cloves)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 5 cups broccoli florets (about 2 small crowns)
- Prepared brown rice or quinoa, for serving
- Chopped green onions and toasted sesame seeds, optional for serving
- Coat a 4-quart or larger slow cooker with nonstick spray. Place the beef in the bottom.
- In a small bowl, stir together the beef broth, soy sauce, oyster sauce, honey, rice vinegar, chili-garlic paste, and garlic. Pour over the beef, then stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 1 1/2 hours.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup water and cornstarch. Stir into the slow cooker with the beef and sauce, then place the broccoli on top. Cover, turn the heat to high, and cook another 30 minutes, until the broccoli is tender. Serve warm over rice, sprinkled with green onions and sesame seeds as desired.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat gently in the microwave or on the stovetop with a splash of beef broth or water to keep it from drying out.
- I have not tried doubling this recipe, but I think that you could easily do about 1.5 times the amount. Watch the cooking time, as it may need to be adjusted slightly.
- Because flank steak is fairly lean, I would not recommend leaving the slow cooker on low longer than the recipe specifies, or I worry it might overcook. If you have a programmable slow cooker that switches to keep warm, this might be an option, but the best choice is to be able to check it right away at the 1 1/2 hour mark.
Serving Size: 1 (of 4), about 1 1/2 cups broccoli beef and 1/2 cup brown rice
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 519 Calories
- Total Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Cholesterol: 113mg
- Sodium: 1375mg
- Carbohydrates: 46g
- Fiber: 6g
- Sugar: 14g
- Protein: 43g