Slow Cooker Turkey Quinoa Chili with Sweet Potatoes and Black Beans
A healthy and hearty slow cooker turkey quinoa chili with sweet potatoes, black beans, and warm spices. Easy to make, great leftover, and healthy too!
YIELD: Serves 6
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOK TIME: 3-4 hours (on high); 4-6 hours (on low)
TOTAL TIME: 3-4 hours (on high); 4-6 hours (on low)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons chipotle chili pepper
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 3 small or 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (about 1 pound)
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1, 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1, 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1, 12-ounce beer
- 2 – 3 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- For serving: cilantro, avocado, shredded cheese, tortilla chips, and sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium high. Add the turkey, onion, salt, garlic powder, and black pepper. Cook and stir, breaking up the turkey as you go, until the turkey is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chili powder, chipotle chili powder, and cumin, then transfer to the bottom a large slow cooker.
- To the slow cooker, add the chopped sweet potatoes, quinoa, beer, 2 cups chicken stock, crushed tomatoes, and black beans. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 5-6 hours, until the potatoes are tender. Stir in additional chicken stock if the chili is thicker than you would like (I added about 1/2 cup extra). Serve warm with desired toppings.